OUR HISTORY

 

Ferndaleís history is rooted in the history of the Associated Gospel Churches which traces its history to the early 1890's when a group of independent evangelical churches became known as the Christian Workers' Church of Canada, under a charter granted to Dr. P.W. Philpott, pastor of the Gospel Tabernacle in Hamilton, ON. These churches were concerned about the growth of theological liberalism and in 1922 felt the need to unite with others who practiced a simple biblical faith. In 1925, because other groups with contrasting doctrine and practice were using similar names, a new charter under the name of Associated Gospel Churches was secured from the Canadian government. The need for a strong evangelical church association was evident from the number of independent churches and missions that joined the AGC in the years that followed. Although some early AGC churches sent out workers to begin new Sunday schools, a more aggressive church extension program did not come about until later. In 1940, a group of western churches sought affiliation with the AGC and became the basis of what is now known as the Canada West Region. The Quebec charter was registered by our English ministry in 1944. With the new openness of the French population in Quebec, the AGC and UFM International mission (now CrossWorld) joined hands to begin a French work in Quebec in 1972.

Ferndale opened its doors to the Peterborough community in 1961 in the fast developing west end of the city. Having spent a short period of time holding services in a local public school, the congregation of Church of the Open Bible trusted Godís guidance and established our current building. With a strong emphasis on missions, Ferndale has thrived in its efforts to proclaim the Gospel to local neighbours as well as to those abroad through continued missionary support. Over the years Ferndale has been blessed by the ministry of six senior pastors and their families.